[lug] Re: graphing system usage

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Jan 5 08:08:09 MST 2006

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Bear> Never mind squared.  I can talk to the 'nodes', but the update
> Bear> process still isn't updating the database.  The logs show that
> Bear> both sites are getting hit... but nothing.
>
> Odd. You have a /etc/cron.d/munin cron script to run it every
> 5minutes? Are all the directories correct in /etc/munin/munin.conf?
>
> Which distro/packages?
>
> anything usefull in /var/log/munin/ ?
>
> With the fedora extras packages the only editing you need to do for
> the main munin collector is to edit /etc/munin/munin.conf and tell it
> what nodes to poll. Everything else should be correct out of the box.
>
> kevin

The problem seems to have been tied to the munin.conf file.  I tried a
few 'totals' plots, but first I saw only the specified totals (but
nothing on the original pages), then nothing on any page.  It seems like
things started working only after I removed all references to 'totals'
and specified "use_host_name".

Now I wouldn't mind being able to drop most of the graphs.  We don't use
NFS, we only use squid for a few sites that require a static IP address
(most of us work from home and have comcastic addresses), etc.

The logs were remarkably unhelpful.

Bear