[lug] : Upgradus Abortus FC3 to FC5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 4 12:22:04 MST 2007

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:11:47 -0500
gordongoldin at netscape.net wrote:

>  I've been upgrading machines directly from FC3 to FC5. Works fine
> with a couple little sticky points.   This latest server urped. I
> started the upgrade, it stopped at coreutils, saying it had a read
> error.   I just restarted, it seemed to do everything normal. BUT:
> 1) When I boot, it only shows FC3 as a choice, then immediately says:
> "missing file" and goes back to the "Choose an operating system"   2)
> When I try to do the upgrade again, it only gives the choice to
> upgrade FC5, it takes a few seconds and says "upgrade completed,
> reboot".

Yeah, something is pretty messed up there... something must have
happened in the middle of the upgrade transaction, so it thinks it
upgraded packages, but they aren't really there.

As a side note, why fc5? fc6 is the current release.

You may be able to boot from the cd, and go to rescue mode with 'linux
rescue' then 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' to go to the system image.

Then you will need to look at what packages the rpm database claims are
installed...

rpm -qa

You may see duplicates... ie, a fc3 package and a fc5 version of the
same package. Likely the fc3 version is the one thats really installed
and the fc5 version is just in the db.

You can confirm this by doing a rpm verify on those packages, ie:
rpm -V coreutils-5.97-12.2.fc6

if all the files in the package show up as missing, then the package
isn't really installed, and you can remove it from the db with:

rpm --justdb -e coreutils-5.97-12.2.fc6

Remove all those dups and then re-run the upgrade.

Of course you could just restore from backups and try upgrading again.

kevin