[lug] standalone sendmail

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 04:19:07 MST 2007

I've got stock sendmail installed on a vanilla CentOS
5 system.

The system lives behind a dsl firewall and does not
have a real domain registered in DNS.  I don't want it
to.

I'd like the system to email logwatch messages
normally destined for root to go to an external email
alias account as specified in /etc/aliases.

It sort of works sometimes.  But it obviously is
getting hung up by the target MTA which specifies
error messages correctly that:

"the Domain of sender address does not exist"

I'm not a sendmail expert at all.

Is there any way to get around this spam prevention
technique by many MTAs if you don't have a registered
domain and separate mail account at an ISP to route
through?

Can I relay mail via a "known" email host?  If so how?

If I have access to a registered domain that is
already being used for another server on a completely
different network, can I specify the domain of this
host to belong to that domain in some way to make it work?