[lug] Accessing FC5 drive on new FC9 install

Patrick Mullen pmullen.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:04:10 MST 2008

SUCCESS!!

The final key ingredient to fixing my dilemma was this link:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874

Here's what I did:

I ran strings on /dev/sdb2 (the FC5 drive).  From there, I opened up
my 34 gig file in vi to find some key strings from the lvm backup
files.  Eventually, I found some pieces of my backup files and was
able to piece together a restore.vg configuration.  The ID apparently
changed somewhere along the way, so after fixing that I ran
vgcfgrestore to fix up the lvm information, mounted the drive with
/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00, and accessed my old files.

Thanks so much for the help, everyone!

~Patrick