[lug] linux and digital photography

Kenneth D Weinert kenw at quarter-flash.com
Tue Dec 16 10:28:29 MST 2008

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll contribute where I can.

Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Folks, another bunch of questions about digital photography, now
> more On Topic with our mailing list.
>
> Is there anybody who is seriously using linux for digital
> photography? If so, can you please describe your software stack?
> Here is mine:
It's all I use.
> 0) I don't bother to connect the camera to the computer, but use
> the 1) card-reader and related kernel modules (it works out of the
> box with ubuntu on all the 4 hw I tried)
I do use USB to connect my two cameras. On the Canon 350D I'm not sure
if I'm running off the camera battery or USB power, but the Canon
Powershot IS S2 appears to run off the USB power when I plug it in.

> 2) gimp (at least now that I shot in jpeg, anybody knows about the
> proprietary raws?)
I use the UFRaw plugin for Canon RAW images and it works fine.

> 3) picasa for linux (which actually is just picasa for windows
> wrapped by wine from the vendor) - I know about other alternatives,
> but don't like them very much
And I don't like Picasa :)  Mainly because I want to put my images
where I want them, not have them squirreled away somewhere that
they're hard to find.  I'm willing to admit that I could be missing
something here and that it's not as difficult as it appeared to be. I
do use F-Spot.

> 4) I print on Windows Vista, I'm the guy whose printer (an Epson
> R280) prints stripes when used from linux (it works perfectly from
> Vista). Note that this is the first time I'm using windows on one
> of my computers since 1997, so it really bothers me

I don't do much printing, but what I have done seems to work fine on
Linux. Mind you, I'm not doing fine art prints, but what gets printed
looks just fine in the 4x6 to 5x7 size that I usually print at.
> I am not using color profiles (my windows is 640x480, so they would
> be almost useless), but if I were able to print from linux, I would
> like to use them. I googled and see that something exists for
> linux, but is anybody actually using them in a daily basis?
I am not. I looked into it, but the results I got were less than
inspiring. That is almost certainly due to my lack of knowledge and
patience on trying to get it to work, so I wouldn't use my experience
as a guide to the current state of color profiles on Linux.

> I am interested to know if anybody was able to do what we guessed
> as possible during our last meeting, namely loading the apple/mac
> drivers into CUPS under linux.

Never tried this.

Ken