[lug] Panera wireless using Fedora

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sun Jun 14 19:28:24 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 19:10 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Before looking at all this, I have to ask: why not just use
> NetworkManager?

It never worked before (had the same reputation as Pulse Audio 'round
here), but I'll consider it.  How does one use it?  I know how to
configure wireless at home using the UIs mentioned prevously.  How do I
use NetworkManager to configure a hot spot?  Same way?  Do I just add
another wireless device to get to the hotspot?  Exactly how do I
configure the hotspot?  With a Mac, it shows me a bunch of cells.  I
have no info like that with any of the gnome UIs, so I'm back to iwlist
scan.  What am I looking for in the output to iwlist scan in order to
configure using NetworkManager?

Of course, I'd like to know what NetworkManager is doing that can't be
done with iwconfig.  Have the backend configuration tools changed?  Is
NetworkManager tied into a bunch of ioctls or something that circumvents
use of the command line tools?  If I gotta use iwlist scan to find the
hot spots, I might as well just skip the nice UIs and do stuff with
scripts anyway.

BTW, the main difference I see between "network" and NetworkManager
seemed to be that the latter would not let me activate a device manually
using the UIs.  So how does one turn them on and off?  I use both wired
and wireless at home so I'd need to know this to switch back and forth.
I'll look for your script. Maybe that will give me some clues.

Thanks Kevin.

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org