[lug] NTP server question

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Mon Sep 6 16:41:19 MDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM, John Dollison <johndollison at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, right... so I did a Google search on NTP servers, and got a little
> wrapped around the axle with Stratum 1 and 2 servers, getting permission to
> connect, etc.  I have a Comcast broadband connection; don't they host time
> servers that I can connect to without getting anyone's permission?

For the purposes of not having your clock 40 years off - the stratum
of the server doesn't really matter, any of them should be accurate to
within a second or so. Look for a server that doesn't require
authentication and is for public use. As another person pointed out -
pool.ntp.org is one option. That's a DNS entry which will provide
multiple IP addresses so that clients are load shared across multiple
servers, if you want to pick a server from that list you can do so
(I've included a short list below). Also time.nist.gov is one that's
always worked ok for me, though I think the 'pool' servers are
preferred.

pool.ntp.org has address 153.16.4.130
pool.ntp.org has address 173.162.131.145
pool.ntp.org has address 173.45.227.99

time.nist.gov has address 192.43.244.18

Aaron