[lug] smartphone question

scott.herod at comcast.net scott.herod at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 09:45:38 MDT 2011

----- Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 15:23 +0000, scott.herod at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Also, you might want to consider an IPod.  My brother uses one with a
> > wireless interface to make calls through Skype.
>
> What does he use for voice input?  I'd be interested in seeing a photo
> of that setup.

Hi Michael,

I has a 4th gen IPod touch which has voice input and for which you can get a
Skype app.  I've not actually seen it in action so can't comment on how well
it works as a phone.  He did mention that unfortunately this Summer he is
working on an installation of new equipment in a paper mill in a very small
town in the Southeast where the only public wireless is at the local
library.  He's worried that they might begin to wonder who the guy sitting on
the front porch each Sunday is.

Scott