[lug] smartphone question

Ben Luey bluey at iguanaworks.net
Sat Jul 9 11:49:08 MDT 2011

> What I'd like to see is a handheld with wifi and maybe a video camera -
> no GSM.  Put Linux and Ekiga on there and do VoIP only.  It's perfect:
> no talking while driving (unless you can war drive, I guess).

If you don't mind a dying (dead) OS, look at Nokia symbian phones. These
phones have integrated SIP support -- no separate program, etc, when you
select a contact you can choose voice call or voip call. I have an
unlocked E63 and use it to connect to my SIP account whenever I have
wifi. The phone supports AT&T and T-mobile SIM cards, and I use a
prepaid t-mobile account for when I need to make a call and don't have
wifi. The OS is quirky though and very few apps and nothing new.

Ben