[lug] password generating techniques

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:22:29 MDT 2012

Hi,
I've recently stumbled into http://code.google.com/p/oplop/ and
decided it's a good idea to manage the tens of passwords I have.
However, it has a few issues (e.g. fixed length, no choice of
character sets, etc.)
On their own website, they mention other similar projects, without
specifying why OPLOP should be better then them (see below for the
list). I've searched online for information, but to much of my
surprise the only thing I have learned is that this is a very old idea
that never took off. Even wikipedia does not mention (or barely
mention) any of these services, let alone the technique or a features
comparison. Just quickly looking at the websites, passwordmaker looks
like the best for me (I would have preferred a non-browser
implementation)... But I am wondering if one of you knows more about
them, uses them, has opinions, links (LWN?) or anything useful.

https://www.pwdhash.com/
http://passwordmaker.org/
http://supergenpass.com/
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Alan_Karp/site_password/