[lug] linux laptop search

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Sep 18 13:22:09 MDT 2013

Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:07:18 -0600
> "Michael J. Hammel"<mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>  wrote:
>
>> So has anyone recently purchased a laptop and found it easy to disable
>> Secure Boot?
>
> This really should not be a problem as long as you get an x86-based
> laptop.  Microsoft's certification rules *require* that you be able to
> turn off secure boot.  It should really just be a matter of getting
> into the BIOS configuration screen.

The one issue I've heard of is that to get to the BIOS you have to boot Windows and set it that way
for the next boot.  And the first boot of Windows requires accepting the EULA.  Not a practical
impediment but a philosophical one for some.  (Or you could remove the hard drive IIRC, which is
more of a practical impediment.)

Recent Thinkpad info: http://juliank.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/thinkpad-x230/

They still seem to be high quality.

And another similar discussion: http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2013-September/013630.html