[lug] Monopoly huh...

Jason A. Crosswhite jason at newberry.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 5 21:34:51 MST 1999

llornkcor wrote:

> I don't necessarily think that MS is a true monopoly

Yes, they are.  Go read the statement of fact by the judge.  There's a
link at /. to it.  They make a pretty convincing argument there.

My own is from Webster's dictionary:

1 : exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or
concerted action
2 : exclusive possession or control
3 : a commodity controlled by one party
4 : one that has a monopoly

Seems they fit a couple of the above.  Even if they didn't meet the
exact definition, they have certainly harmed not only innovation within
the industry, but degraded the culture and society that surrounds it.
That's the real shame.  We'll never get that back, even if Microsoft is
treated punitively.

Go Linux!  Hell, go *BSD, go BeOS, go HURD.  Whatever.  We have some
ground to make up.

Although now I wonder.  Would the OSS/free software culture we all seem
to enjoy have pulled together so strongly if Microsft wasn't what it
was?  Maybe in the annals of history, Microsoft will just be seen to be
a catalyst.  The irritant in the oyster to make the Perl (ooops, that's
er a pearl).

Sorry, just ranting.  I'm working late and drinking beer at the same
time... dangerous combination.  Code suffers, social life suffers,
clarity of ranting suffers.... :-)

--
-Jason Crosswhite

jason at newberry.uoregon.edu