[lug] How did the Install/Info Fest turn out?

John Edwards harkerii at sprintmail.com
Tue Dec 14 22:03:48 MST 1999

At 05:43 PM 12/14/99 -0700, you wrote:

>These comments break my heart.  Ed and I drove all the way up to Boulder
>from the South side of Denver and showed off our Linux gaming machines at
>the fest.  We both had HW accelerated SLI setups and even played Unreal
>Tournament (348demo) against each other and the bots for something like an
>hour.  We had our speakers turned on so all could hear as well as see.  We
>also demo'd Myth2, Q3Atest, and Quake II.  I thought we demonstrated that
>Linux has a strong foothold in the gaming client world.  The only big
>disappointment I have with gaming in Linux is that I haven't been able to
>get Half-Life to run with wine yet.
>
>-Matt

	Well, since one of those comments were mine (the one about Loki), I'll
respond as well...
	Yes, you did have the machines set up, and they were great!  I played
Quake II for a brief time.  We should make a point of showing more than one
or two types of games (I did not see Myth2, and have absolutely no idea
what it's like) so that people won't get the idea that Linux only runs 3d
shooters.
	Another Idea I just had (Danger Will Robinson!) is to show a quick demo of
games on the big screen.  One time when I looked in, we had a half-full
room of people watching the setup (at least, it looked that way).
	Now, these should be extremely short, since our main goal is to show
setup, but this will add to the general knowledge base of our visitors.

John
If Life is just a highway, then the soul is just a car
and objects in the rear-view window may appear closer
han they are.	                                 Meatloaf