[lug] Realtek-based NICs

McIllece, Matthew W matthew.w.mcillece at lmco.com
Thu Jan 27 18:02:01 MST 2000

I've seen the posts recommending Realtek-based NICs because they work with
Linux and are cheap.  Now I'm in the market for NICs to use with Linux on
hand-me-down P133-based systems.  Can someone help me with questions
regarding the differences between various Realtek-based cards.  I found the
following at http://www.pricewatch.com/:

generic; Realtek 10/100BT PCI Ethernet Card; w/ Drivers 1 Year Warranty; $7;
Dealer: Memory Maximus, Inc; part# NIC-CX-RL100TXP

generic; Realtek 10bt ne2000 ISA Ethernet Card; RETAIL BOX 1 Year Warranty;
$7; Dealer: Memory Maximus, Inc; part# NIC-REA-10/100/ISA

generic; Realtek 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card; Retail Box w/ Drivers 1 Year
Warranty; $7; Dealer: Volume Software; part# - (PHO-RTL8139RB1 from vendor's
website)

generic; 10BT, 100BT PCI Adapter, Lifetime Limited Warranty by Mfg; Realtek
Chipset, NO Boot ROM Socket; $8; Dealer: I-Market; Part# NC1032S

I understand the difference between a "retail box" and one that is not, but
what is the difference between:

10/100BT
10bt ne2000
10BT, 100BT (same as 10/100BT, no?)

Is "NO Boot ROM Socket" a big deal?

Also, are any of the above cards to be avoided (e.g. not Linux compatible,
unreliable, etc.)?

Are any of the above dealers to be avoided?

I know to check to see if the motherboards have PCI or ISA slots.