[lug] DSL in Denver?

Philip Rasch pjr at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 4 09:24:49 MST 2000

I am confused by Chris' reply (below). Even if another vendor provides the
support for DSL, doesnt it all come down to the regional phone company
support for the actual phone lines between the phone company switch  and the building?

To be specific, it is my guess that if US West doesnt put copper wire
all the way from the switch, into your building, there is no way
anybody else can help you with DSL. Unless you get them to install
their own copper wire.

If your do have such a connection, then many vendors can supply
the DSL using the various protocols previously discussed.

Am I wrong about this? If so, please straighten us all out.

Phil

> >At 09:11 PM 2/1/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >  >
> >  >Check with Rhythms.
> >  >
> >  >www.rhythms.net
> >  >

> >	All this talk of DSL has gotten me curious.
> >	To my understanding, DSL service (the actual data line) has to be
> >installed and serviced by USWest.  Once you have the line, you can go with
> >whichever ISP that offers DSL connections in you're area.
> >	The conversation here, leads me to believe otherwise.
> >	Which is correct?
> >

> There are many purveyors of DSL circuits besides US West.  US West
> offers the lowest-cost circuits and has the largest DSL population of
> any Regional Bell Operating Company.
>
> Chris
> Peak to Peak Internet

Phil Rasch, Climate Modeling Section, National Center for Atmospheric Research
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307
internet: pjr at ucar.edu, http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/pjr
Phone: 303-497-1368, FAX: 303-497-1324