[lug] Reverse domain registry question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 18 10:24:31 MST 2000

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 04:00:31PM -0700, Chip Atkinson wrote:

Basically there are about three ways to do this, and the ISP needs to do
all of them.  If you're ready to start doing the reverses on your DNS
server, they need to delegate those IP's down to you.

Easiest way to do that for them is to put NS records pointing to your
nameserver's IP address in place of PTR records in the in-addr.arpa zone
for your IP addresses.  This will cause these lookups to be referred to
your nameserver.

Other methods include actually registering that IP range as being *yours*
and not theirs with ARIN and the powers that be, at which point reverse
lookups would come directly to your nameserver and not go to theirs first.
For a really big group of IP's, this is a must as it speeds things up and
is a better use of DNS server resources, but for a small group of IP's,
it's easier just to delegate via recursion.

One other thing, someone said you were on dialup?  That didn't make any
sense to me as you are serving from that machine.  I'll assume you have
static IP's, or otherwise there's a whole other mess that needs to be
dealt with.  :)

If you have a /28 or /29 network, getting USWest to type in the delegations
isn't too bad.  Otherwise, if you have a lot of IP's, it's time for them to
break out the macro preprocessor to attack the zone files!  :)

BTW, expect them to get this wrong at least once.  Their DNS guys were
very green a couple months ago, and a friend of mine had to e-mail them
a zone file to use to get his DNS set up correctly.  That's just sad.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>