[lug] CTAR

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Fri Feb 25 10:44:39 MST 2000

Being a HP-UX shop mainly...I like OmniBack. They just introduced Linux
support. It works great. The only problem for a totally Linux shop
is...no way to write to a tape drive attached to a Linux box. This isn't
a big deal for us since our Linux servers are really small compared to
our HP's. We just write all of our Linux backups to a spare tape drive
on a HP. So our "cell server" is a HP and it goes out and kicks off and
controls the backup on the Linux boxes (all boxes at the same time) and
writes them to a tape drive on another HP. OmniBack also supports NT.

It will be a great solution when HP gets the Media Agent (that allows it
to write to a Linux tape drive) into production. Now, I don't think it
is feasible unless you have other OS's
--

- kjm