[lug] DSL Availability

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Mon Apr 24 09:20:12 MDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Hinegardner" <jjh at tranquility.net>

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know about the availability of DSL/xDSL in
> the Boulder area.  I'm moving to Boulder this summer and
> would like to make sure I find a place that is DSL capable.

There are two major CO's that I know of in Boulder, one downtown
on Walnut & 15th? 16th?  And the other in S. Boulder near
Table Mesa Dr. and Broadway.  There might be a third in
far N. Boulder, but I don't know about it.   Between these
two most of Boulder is covered.

If you end up anywhere near Downtown, or Martin Acres or
Table Mesa, you should have no problem.  I'm about as from
from the CO as you can get in TM, and I regularly hit speeds
in excess of 600Mb on downloads.

Unfortunately, your landlord won't be able to tell you much.
The problem is that USWorst doesn't do an actual line check.
Instead, they have a database of phone numbers that gets updated
every couple of months.  If you don't have a number yet, or if
you had a mux on your line (two numbers on one pair) the database
will be unable to tell whether you can use DSL or not.

I found out that I could get DSL only because a lineman told me
that I was easily within range.  It then took three months to
convince USWorst that they could go ahead and install DSL.

-- archer