[lug] Firewall != Linux, Was -> Broadband

Jeffrey B. Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Tue Aug 1 19:00:53 MDT 2000

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Ok, I'll bite...  Good hardware can be gotten for around $800, and
> it takes around 4 hours at $150/hour to install, document, and configure
> at a remote site.

You're miscounting.  The time taken for installation, confirgration, and
documentation applies for a commercial firewall as well as for a Linux
system.

The relevant time is that required to install Linux and remove/disable
services not appropriate for a firewall.  For me this takes about an
hour, but I have done this quite a few times.  YMMV.