[lug] Laptops again

Kevin kevin at scrye.com
Thu Sep 14 10:01:15 MDT 2000

>>>>> "David" == David Outteridge <doutteridge at onerealm.com> writes:

David> I know that this topic has been raised before, so I hope that
David> it is not tedious for people; you will just have to delete
David> messages on this topic if it is for you 8-)

David> I think that I am going to have to buy a laptop because I am
David> going to be travelling.  And I really should like to get it
David> right first time, I do not have the time to play with it too
David> much.  Within reason, the cost is not an issue; if I am going
David> to spend thousands, then a few hundred extra is not going to
David> hurt that much more =8-o.  I am looking for advice on what to
David> buy.  I do not recall ever having opened the lid on a laptop,
David> let alone typing into one.

David> I have looked at some stuff on the web and I am a little
David> concerned because people seem to have to play around to install
David> Linux.  In particular X sems to give trouble.  Also, I thought
David> that IBM and Dell have embraced Linux to some degree; that is
David> not obvious from their sites.

David> Here is what I need, and a couple of things that I do not need;
David> there may be things that I need but do not realise it.  Any
David> well-driected advice will be most welcome.

well, in general I would suggest this for a linux laptop:

- Find a laptop you like in general hardware and price wise...
- Check for this model on the linux with laptops list to see if
  someone has already installed linux on it. If not, go back to step
  1. ;) If so, you should be able to see how it works and if there are
   any drawbacks.

David> * This machine will be used to run fvwm, emacs, ppp, and gcc;
David>   not much else.
David> * medium speed processor is ok, fast is ok too
David> * lots of memory, 128mB minimum
David> * disc that I can partition, I may need to put MS ? on it
David> * any version of Linux, I use Redhat on my desktop, so that is
David>   preferred
David>    slightly

above is most any modern laptop...

David> * lots and lots of pixels and a first class display,
David>    high resolution text is important

note that the larger the display the more weight the laptop will
have. My dell Inspirion 5000 has a great screen (1400x1040), but it
weighs several times as much as Sean's ibm thinkpad 280 (800x600
screen).

David> * easy modem connectivity

almost all laptops seem to come with winmodems. Count on buying a
pcmcia modem for connectivity.

David> * external keyboard plug-in

almost all except the very small ones have this.

David> I do not care about:
David> * sound
David> * games

David> * Does anyone have experience of buying a machine with Linux
David>   already
David>    installed?

nope. I have always installed linux myself.

David> * If I need to partition and re-install, how do I get data from
David>   a CD-ROM?
David> CD
David>    drives appear to be accessories, is that right?

depends on the laptop. Many have cd/dvd drives built in anymore.
If your laptop doesn't, you can usually use a pcmcia card to network
install them just fine. ;)

David> * Does anyone have experience with removeable drives, are they
David>   any good?

hard drives? yeah, they work, but since I have little need for windows
I never really swap them. ;)

David> * What are the main gotchas, if any?

you want to make sure and get a laptop that someone else has already
gotten to work with linux. This is an area where most people don't
want to be a pioneer. ;) If someone else has one and has gotten it to
work, then you know it will work. ;)

David> Thanks in advance.
David> dajo

kevin