[lug] Laptops again

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 14 10:58:04 MDT 2000

Thus spoke Kevin
> well, in general I would suggest this for a linux laptop:
>
> - Find a laptop you like in general hardware and price wise...
> - Check for this model on the linux with laptops list to see if
>   someone has already installed linux on it. If not, go back to step
>   1. ;) If so, you should be able to see how it works and if there are
>    any drawbacks.

Good advice.  It's what I've done on several ocassions.

> David> * easy modem connectivity
>
> almost all laptops seem to come with winmodems. Count on buying a
> pcmcia modem for connectivity.

Not necessarily.  The Lucent WinModems supplied in IBM ThinkPads has a
binary driver downloadable from the net.  I found it via the Linux Laptops
page for my Thinkpad 1410, but I'm sure there are links to it from other
places.  Works fine - in fact, worked the very first time I tried it.  And
it installs extremely easily.

> nope. I have always installed linux myself.

Ditto.

> David> * What are the main gotchas, if any?
>
> you want to make sure and get a laptop that someone else has already
> gotten to work with linux. This is an area where most people don't
> want to be a pioneer. ;) If someone else has one and has gotten it to
> work, then you know it will work. ;)

Very true.  You can't fiddle with laptop components, swapping out the video
card or hard drives if they don't work, as easily as a desktop.  So try and
find one on the Linux Laptop pages first.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com