[lug] Backup from Sun to Linux or SGI

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Thu Sep 14 12:03:51 MDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Andrew Gilmore wrote:

> I'm vaguely recalling the ability to remote mount a tape drive. "rmt" is a
> command that is involved. I have no idea whether it would work across OS
> differences, although I recall mounting a Sun tape drive on a Win95 machine,
> and successfully backing it up.
>
> the man page for rmt refers to using rexec or rcmd, which suggest security
> issues to me.

You can try the following to see if it will work:

tar cvf - $DIRNAME | rsh $REM dd of=$TAPEDEV

 $DIRNAME with the directory to backup,
 $REM with the machine name with the tape drive,
 $TAPEDEV with the tape device.

The only issue here is that the machines need to be trusted. The Linux needs
to be trusted on the Sun

See what happens...

Bill Jorgensen

  "It's not the size of the dog in