[lug] setting up a mirror

Alan Robertson alanr at suse.com
Fri Sep 15 10:03:04 MDT 2000

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 07:02:45PM -0600, Michael Wegener wrote:
> >I am trying to set up mirrored directories on redundant servers (RH6.2)
> >and am not getting very far very fast. Ideally, it would be automated
> >(or CRON'ed) so that if I put a file on server1 it will copy that file
> >to server2. Any (easily implemented) ideas?
>
> The "rsync" program works well to do that.  Using SSH you can set up
> some authentication keys so that one box can replicate files to another
> box via cron, without requiring manual authentication.  You can also use
> anonymous rsync which would allow anyone to sync it, etc...

If you are in a situation where you don't control the second server (like a
web server run by someone else), you can also use sitecopy, which allows you
to push it out to someone who is just running ftp.

If you're into failing over to a second server when the first one goes down,
then you might look at linux-ha.org.  If you are into bleeding-edge
mirroring, you might look at drbd which is pointed to by that site.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at suse.com