[lug] backup error

JEFF PFOHL pfohl at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 10 10:54:21 MDT 2000

   Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:53:54 -0600
   From: Deva Samartha <YTAFTDJAHCWS at spammotel.com>

   save the stderr output to a file and look thru there.

   like
   tar cvf /dve/ht0 . 1> /tmp/tar1.log 2> /tmp/tar2.log &

Are you saying to do my backups by typing out this whole line?

root> tar cvf /dev/ht0 . 1> /tmp/tar1.log 2> /tmp/tar2.log &

I guess I just find that a strange syntax. What does "1" mean when you
redirect it to /tmp/tar1.log?

I did just do a:

root> tar tvf >tape.dump

and it looked ok. (ie it didn't end with any error message)

Thanks again!

--
				JEFF PFOHL
			 	E-MAIL: pfohl at sandia.gov
				PHONE : (505) 844-7033  work
					(505) 299-9516  home
        				(505) 844-6729  fax
				http://nucalf.physics.fsu.edu/pfohl

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people:
 Those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to
 try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."

 - Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India