[lug] File size limit issue

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sat Nov 18 09:47:29 MST 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 12:26:41AM -0700, Anders Knudsen wrote:
> Yea. But don't I just need 64-bit file I/O support to break 2gb limit? I
> know that RedHat has that Enterprise Edition for Oracle deal, and
> that it has 64-bit file I/O support. So...I figure that making the
> kernel do this is possible, no?
> This is a bad limitation that I must work to get around.
>
> ...luck be a lady tonight...

You need both sides of the system to agree on 64-bit. It
doesn't help if your kernel can address 64-bit if your
applications call 'int fgetpos(...)' and assumes int being
32 bits long. The changes in the kernel are trivial (and
mostly done anyway). You need to check all of your applications
and inspectg what they do with the return to systemcalls.

 Ralf