[lug] Re: some advice about Mobile Linux

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Mon Nov 27 11:26:37 MST 2000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, dt97jjb wrote:

> I am an Industrial Design student from Brunel University, currently in my
> final year. We have to develop a major project throughout the final year, my
> project is basically a low-cost hand-held internet portal for use in
> developing countries in remote rural areas, where access to power and
> telephones lines is impossible.
> It will be used to aid communication and allow access to the internet for
> educational, medical and resource based applications.
>
> So far the most suitable processor seems to be from a company called
> Transmeta, the Crusoe TM3200:
>
> http://www.transmeta.com
>
> my questions to you are;
> firstly, Transmeta mentioned a version of Linux called Mobile Linux which
> they are developing to work with there range of Crusoe chips, do you know if
> this is available yet, or do you know of anyone I could contact regarding
> this area?

I don't know, but since you've got the transmeta URL why don't you simply
contact them?

> secondly, do you know any good source of integratable devices such as LCD
> screen etc that will work using Linux based OS as opposed to the Windows
> based devices? All I can find are windows compatible devices so far.

Well, there are several LCD display manufacturers.  You should be able to
locate many with a simple web search.  Since you are seemingly developing
this device from scratch, I'd think that compatibility issues would
revolve around the hardware requirements of the LCD display and the
chipset that you would choose to design with.  To make it Linux
compatible, I'd think that you would primarily need to choose a video
chipset that is supported by Linux.

I hope this helps.  I've CC'd it to the BLUG mailing list in case anyone
else might have something to add (or correct).

- Wayde
  (wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov)