[lug] Network time

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Dec 8 17:45:50 MST 2000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 11:32:19PM -0700, Tkil wrote:
>and so on.  i recall that uswest had a pretty sophisticated internal
>NTP network set up.

Yeah, pretty insanely sophisticated.  About half a dozen GPS time receivers
making stratum 1 time servers for production machines to use, and a bout
a dozen other well-known boxes running stratum 2 servers for the rest of
the blokes.

I mostly don't care so much about my time being off by a very small fraction
of a second like you'd get by going to a higher-stratum time server.  I
just want all my machines to be fairly close to each other.  So, I usually
set up one box that pulls time from an external source, and have everything
else sync off that.

Sean
--
 Bush supporters say that the president should be decided upon quickly.  If
 it's so important, why don't they concede?  They've lost the popular vote.