[lug] XWin Problems

David Morris boru at frii.com
Tue Jan 2 15:12:44 MST 2001

OK, I have a problem I hope someone can help me with, because I am at
a complete and total loss.  Here is the situation:

I just made two hardware changes to my computer system:  I moved a CD
player from another computer to replace the existing failing CD-ROM
drive, and I added a Creative Labs Ensoniq PCI Sound Card.

When I rebooted, the sound card was not recognized (expected as no
modules were loaded), and the CD-ROM drive worked perfectly.

I then go to start X-Windows, and it starts up just fine.
Enlightenment loads, but then the system stop responding.  Not quite -
The system responds once every 60 seconds or so, and will process a
*single* input even at that time.

This is a problem.

I have done the following:

* Looked for error messages in X startup and in kernel logs - nothing.
* Load Sound card drivers and get it working from command line - same
  problem.
* Compile my own version of the kernel (was 2.2.15, now is 2.2.17) -
  no difference.
* Run just the X-Server with no shell (XF86_S3V) - same problem
* Check for Resource conflicts using lspci - none

I have not yet tried removing the sound card to be certain that brings
the system back to normal, but that is probably the next step.

I use the following to get sound from the card:

insmod soundcore
insmod soundlow
insmod sound
insmod es1371

As there is no error message anywhere, just generic unresponsiveness,
I am at a loss as to where to begin.  Any Suggestions?

--David