[lug] cvs pserver

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 14:17:40 MDT 2001

>> This is on an internal network used only by me, firewalled from ppp
>> interface to the outside world. In any case, unless I am mistaken,
>> the pserver set simply changes the CVS_RSH method to use ssh
>> instead of rsh, so on

Not really.  In pserver mode the cvs server is usually started from
inetd.  In `ext' mode it is started directly by the user on the server
via ssh or rsh (or whatever CVS_RSH is set to).  Try it with rsh and
see if that helps.  It very well might.

>> I've been poking around there (as well as in a book), and can't
>> seem to find any reference as to why /root/.cvsignore must be
>> readable for this to work. I'm tempted to remove and reinstall cvs,
>> but I have a feeling that whatever config problem I have it would
>> still be there.

This is curious.  I imagine what is going on is that since cvs is
being started as root on the server, it is trying to read
~root/.cvsignore.  However there seems to be a twist, since if it
isn't readable that would mean that the cvs server has probably
already changed uid to the invoking user.  But then why would it be
looking at ~root/.cvsignore?  This is all hypothetical though.

Maybe it is just a bug in cvs.  You'd have to dig through the source,
or debug it, to find out.

Perhaps some misconfiguration in CVSROOT/passwd could cause the
problem.  I don't know.  I only ever use pserver for anonymous cvs.

Another choice might be to invoke `cvs -f pserver' from inetd.  I
really have no idea whether that would even work.  cvs might reject
it.  It might be worth a try.

Tom