[lug] Wireless ISP - Sprint Broadband

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Mon May 14 09:04:00 MDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> he told me is that they installed several sites since last November with
> trees between the antenna and their radio tower.  Now as these trees are
> growing leaves they keep getting service calls because of high packet
> loss, which is sometimes also perceived as high latency.

Yes, microwave energy doesn't get through water very well. Leaves tend to
have rather high water content.

The sprint techs should have realized this when the made those installs,
that the trees would get leafy in the summer - this is a fairly regular
and normal thing for trees to do, after all.

-Ian

--

"Video games don't affect kids. If Pac-Man did we'd all be running
around darkened rooms swallowing pills and listening to repetitive