[lug] need a module alias name

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jun 16 18:00:46 MDT 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I have a 2.4.x kernel, with the following modules for a joystick:
> joydev
> gameport
> ns558
> analog
>
> I've added the following to /etc/modules.conf so I can simply run
> "modprobe analog" and ahve it install all related modules:
> pre-install analog /sbin/modprobe ns558
> pre-install ns558 /sbin/modprobe gameport
> pre-install gameport /sbin/modprobe joydev
>
> What I'm having a problem with, despite having the kerneld running for
> module autoloading, is that I must still manually modprobe analog for it
> to work. If /dev/js0 (a sym link to /dev/input/js0) is accessed, is
> there an alias I can add to modules.conf which will allow it to
> autoload? I don't see any messages in /var/log/messages, so I have no
> clue what it wants...is there an alias or other name I can alias to
> "analog" to get it to autoload?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

I found out my answer, which might be of interest. Kernel module
auto-loading only works for major number requests, not for minor number.
So if you have the device support for a particular major number (in this
case for 2.4.x kernels, "input" support), then requesting any minor
number on it does not query the kernel module code, despite the specific
device requiring a module. So to get autoloading, I had to make kernel
support for "input" a module too, not just the other items for an anlog
joystick.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com