[lug] various ???s

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jun 25 18:06:18 MDT 2001

Macs are a pain under Linux, but Ethan Benson up in Alaska is doing a
kick butt job getting the next version of Debian to support "newworld"
macs even better than in the past.

The biggest need is a non-destructive repartitioning program.
Repartitioning for multiple OS's means blowing away your MacOS
completely and reloading... so tinkering with them is harder unless
before you make them useful under MacOS you repartition and leave plenty
of free space to play with multiple OS's later.

Many folks on debian-ppc are reporting good results with the new TiBooks
and some success with the newer iBooks if you're looking for a snazzy
laptop that'll bug your friends eyes out when they see an X desktop on
them... heh.

My iMac DV SE runs Debian nicely, and from what I've been reading the
latest versions of BenH's kernels now support the Airport card natively
as well as other nice fixes... now if Linus would just accept patches at
a faster rate for this semi-supported arch it'd be in better shape.
(He's very i386 centric...)

My $.02 -- or was that $1.29 with inflation?

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>