[lug] Video recording with Linux

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jun 27 14:12:10 MDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:50:50AM -0600, ljp wrote:
>Are you using that BT9xx with linux? I have one of those cards. There is a

No, I've only tried it with Windows (at the time it was the only spare box
I had, the linux boxes were all being USED ;-).  The driver for them is
currently in the 2.4 kernels.  I liked the DC10Plus because it would record
at twice the resolution as the BT chipset cards (which for VHS isn't going
to be an issue I later found out), and because it has a TV out...

>driver somewhere on the net, and at one time, I tried to get it installed
>and working, but I gave up on it (about two years ago??, and had to do some

Rob Riggs got his working about that length of time ago...  For playing
video at least.  Apparently the BT boards can play TV on your
screen using very little CPU.  I don't really care about that though.

>The problem with mjpeg is, well, its basically jpg.. so it's lossy. :( and

Well, video is just going to be lossy.  My box can't keep up with full-res
jpeg recording with better than 80 quality...  It's nowhere near where it'd
need to be to get lossless.  And since I'm going to a lossy format anyway
(mpeg/divx) it's not going to be that bad anyway...

mjpeg actually IMHO looks better than mpeg -- the artifacts tend to be
frame-based, instead of crossing multiple frames.  The quality I'm seeing
is pretty darn good unless I go down to quality levels under 10...

Each frame is around 230KB, so uncompressed 320x240 frame would be around
7MB.  If you want full-size you're talking about nearly 30MB/sec.  A
delightful 100GB per hour...

Sean
--
 Good idea: Slaves Girls of Gor