[lug] Pointer goes nuts

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Jul 24 15:15:50 MDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, John Hernandez wrote:

> Hello gurus and enthusiasts.  I'm having a strange problem where my
> mouse pointer will suddenly and unexpectedly jump to the bottom left
> of the screen and many button clicks are sent (even though I'm not
> pressing the button) causing my windows and toolbar to freak out
> uncontrollably.  This behavior will calm down after a second or two,
> but it repeats if I try to move the mouse again.  The only solution I
> have found is to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of X and restart it.  This
> fixes it, but it will happen again with a frequency of perhaps twice a
> day.  Anyone seen similar?

Well, in my opinion you guys having problems with X have just found the
toughest part of Linux to configure.

I've seen mice do this if you are using the wrong device settings, or if
there are two pieces of software trying to read the mouse at the same
time.  I'm assuming that the rest of the display looks OK?  If not that
could be an issue as well.

I don't suppose that you have gpm running do you?  I've had problems with
that before.  If you have gpm running you might try killing that and see
if the problem goes away.

More than likely though you have an incorrect setting in your mouse
configuration.  I usually tinker with things using XF86Setup until the
mouse behaves itself.  You've got the correct device file since you are
talking to the mouse, often that is the tougher problem.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)