[lug] local network

David dajo at frii.com
Tue Jul 24 15:27:49 MDT 2001

   What cable do you use?
A cross-over cable, I got that bit right.

   dajo> Alternatively, where do I look for this information?

      http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html

   t.
Thank you for this url.  I cannot find the HOWTOs on my KRUD discs;
can anyone shed light on this, am I looking for the wrong name?  There are a
few HOWTOs installed, mainly concerned with security, but not much else.

   > Currently I am using 123.456.666.1 and 2; ping gives me "unknown host"
   > with each number on each machine.

   Is this a valid IP address?  I didn't think that you could have numbers
   greater that 254.
Ah, you spotted the deliberate error!  It was a silly misteak to
make; very shortly afterward I changed to proper ips.

It turns out that my new computer's hardware is faulty, it is being brought
back to life at the shop.  The modem does not work, maybe other things do not
either.  Thanks to everyone for help; I may be back for more tomorrow 8-)

dajo