[lug] Beginner Question

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Fri Aug 3 11:50:45 MDT 2001

Hello,

  Telnet ( the server ), at least, can be turned on with chkconfig.
Check "man chkconfig".  To turn it on or off with chkconfig use

chkconfig --level 5 telnet on  ( resp. off )

(Level 5 is the run level which is used when the box
is running an X interface. )

The problem with using telnet as a service that you log in through
is that the password that you type to get in goes across the wire
in clear text.  It is easy for someone to watch all the traffic
passing into a box and pull the clear text passwords out of the
stream.  ( man ifconfig for a starting point to see how to do it on
your box. )

SSH uses encrypted passwords which makes it harder for someone to
use the data on the wire to pretend to be you.  There is ssh client
software for Windows that you can download.  Of course if you are
on an isolated network it doesn't really matter if you use telnet.
For example, at home I have to boxes wired together without an
external interface.  There I use telnet because I don't think that
I have to worry about my kids sniffing the passwords, yet.

Scott