[lug] Cisco 675 PPP vs. Bridging modes

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Fri Aug 10 15:00:53 MDT 2001

I have ran my Cisco 675 in bridging mode for almost two years with almost 0
problem.

As others have said, it essentially turns the router into an adapter that
allows you to directly connect your Ethernet connection into an ADSL line.

In one configuration that I ran, I had a P120 with 48MB RAM and two NICs.
One NIC was plugged into the 675, and the other was hooked to the local
network using RFC1918 reserved addresses and IP Masquerading. I had only one
fixed IP address. This worked flawlessly.

My current configuration has two NICs and does routing for 16 IP addresses.
If you  are going to try this configuration, you better know your networking
pretty well.

We are using FRII.COM and have only had one outage. Their pricing is very
reasonable also.