[lug] Cisco 675 PPP vs. Bridging modes

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Aug 10 15:54:43 MDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, George Sexton wrote:

> I have ran my Cisco 675 in bridging mode for almost two years with almost 0
> problem.
>
> As others have said, it essentially turns the router into an adapter that
> allows you to directly connect your Ethernet connection into an ADSL line.
>
> In one configuration that I ran, I had a P120 with 48MB RAM and two NICs.
> One NIC was plugged into the 675, and the other was hooked to the local
> network using RFC1918 reserved addresses and IP Masquerading. I had only one
> fixed IP address. This worked flawlessly.
>
> My current configuration has two NICs and does routing for 16 IP addresses.
> If you  are going to try this configuration, you better know your networking
> pretty well.
>
> We are using FRII.COM and have only had one outage. Their pricing is very
> reasonable also.

Pretty much the same experience here.

675 in bridging mode almost three years, using FRII.  Very happy with
the stability and the CLUEFULNESS of the FRII tech staff.

The 675 plugs into my firewall, and my switch is behind the firewall.
One fixed IP address, and the firewall box handles NAT into an
RFC1918 reserved space.

Walter