[lug] char descriptors

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Aug 11 19:11:41 MDT 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Taz said:

> Hi all:
>
> Does anybody know where I can get a list of what the
> char-major/minor-### are?  My logs from time to time tell me that a
> particular one is missing, but I have no idea what they are referring
> to.  Here is an example:
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81
>
> Anybody?  Thanks in advance...

/etc/modules.conf contains reference to many of these.  Usually I can more
or less figure things out by looking at that and the directory of /dev,
which contains the system device name and the major / minor designations.

Pasting from the listing "ls -al /dev | less" yields the following:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 May 16 09:46 radio -> radio0
crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,  64 Jan 19  2001 radio0
crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,  65 Jan 19  2001 radio1
crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,  66 Jan 19  2001 radio2
crw-rw----    1 root     video     81,  67 Jan 19  2001 radio3

so it appears that the device is a multi-media radio interface card of
some sort.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net