[lug] RH7.1 and remote display of X apps

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Aug 22 19:27:10 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael J Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> writes:

Michael> Not that I can tell, but this was the first time I've tried
Michael> running xauth.

xauth is pretty easy.  on an xterm that is connected happily to your
server, type in:

  xauth list | grep $DISPLAY

you should see something like:

  myhost.mydomain.com:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  deadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeefdeadbeef

open a connection to the remote machine.  (i typically use another
xterm for this.)  on that machine, type in "xauth add " but don't hit
return yet.  use your mouse to select the whole line from the previous
command (in the other window), then paste it into the remote session.
this should include the return at the end of the line, so it will
process that.

then you have to set the DISPLAY variable on the remote machine as you
would normally.  after that, it should just work.  the usual warnings
about unencrypted traffic and the potential for being snooped inside X
if anyone else connects are all still true, of course.

Michael> That sounds about right, or they started using some obscure X
Michael> security mechanism and didn't tell anyone how to make it work
Michael> like before.  Arrgggh.

well, my RH 7.1 (krud 2001-07) box at work is quite happy with xauth,
so i don't think that's the problem.  it's probably the firewall.

Michael> So what do you do to get tunneling to work with this?  I have
Michael> ssh working between the two boxes.  How do I get the remote
Michael> guy to tunnel his X client over to the RH 7.1 box?

you have to make sure that your local ssh (client) is configured to
ask for X forwarding, and that the remote sshd (server) is configured
to allow it.  look in ~/.ssh/config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config,
respectively.  the relevant options are:

   # grep X11 ~tkil/.ssh/config /etc/ssh/sshd_config
   /home/tkil/.ssh/config:ForwardX11 yes
   /etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11Forwarding yes
   /etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11DisplayOffset 10

lovely gratuitous inconsistencies, but oh well.  (also, this is my 6.x
box here at home -- i don't have a 7.x box handy...)

once you have those values, and restart the sshd on the server side,
the next connection should automatically set the DISPLAY environment
variable for the remote shell, and it should work without further
adjustment.

t.