[lug] Microsoft drops support for Netscape tools

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Aug 27 14:59:25 MDT 2001

John Starkey wrote:

> Thus spake Evelyn Mitchell (efm at tummy.com):
>

>>On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 11:15:56AM -0600, Bill Thoen wrote:
>>
>>>Are there are any really up-to-date alternatives for web browsers
>>>here in Linux-land? (I'm new to it, and currently my L-box hasn't
>>>got enough memory to run a GUI so I am stuck with Links and Lynx for
>>>the nonce. But I'm working at putting another one together that will
>>>have more memory.)
>>>
>>I've been enjoying Konqueror. Good CSS support, a lot faster than
>>Netscape, and stable. It has yet to hang my X, and when it crashes,
>>it only kills the bad window, not all of them.
>>

> I'll second that one.
>
> I just checked a site that's a pretty hard design. The guy that did it racked his brain on iMac IE and NN. I checked it in Konquerer and it parsed exactly as intended.
>
> Mozilla/Linux totally trashes the same site. Some td cells are invading others.
>
> NN parses it fine, but those damned form fields. Eeeeeshk. NN 4.7 is all I've been using; I think I may be going with Konquerer from now on.
>
> I've heard that NN 6.1 is out and looking pretty good with the exception of some JS issues. Not sure if they have a Linux version out yet.

Yes, they do - and it is great.  I really like Konqueror and use it a lot.  But
since Netscape 6.1 I started using NS again as well.  It loads pretty fast and
works rather well.

We also have switched a few Windows users to NS6 and they generally never want
to use NS 4.7x again.  6.1 is a good release!

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com