[lug] pleas help raid1

Chuck Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Thu Oct 4 09:11:33 MDT 2001

Try this

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-6.html

here's the first section:

6. Reconstruction
If you've read the rest of this HOWTO, you should already have a pretty good
idea about what reconstruction of a degraded RAID involves. I'll summarize:
Power down the system
Replace the failed disk
Power up the system once again.
Use raidhotadd /dev/mdX /dev/sdX to re-insert the disk in the array

>>>NOTE: this is using scsi disks, you would want to use /dev/hdc if that is
where your new disk is now<<<

Have coffee while you watch the automatic reconstruction running
And that's it.
Well, it usually is, unless you're unlucky and you RAID has been rendered
unusable because more disks than the ones redundant failed. This can actually
happen if a number of disks reside on the same bus, and one disk takes the
bus with it as it crashes. The other disks, however fine, will be unreachable
to the RAID layer, because the bus is down, and they will be marked as
faulty. On a RAID-5 where you can spare one disk, loosing two or more disks
can be fatal.
The following section is the explanation that Martin Bene gave to me, and
describes a possible recovery from the scary scenario outlined above. It
involves using the failed-disk directive in your /etc/raidtab, so this will
only work on kernels 2.2.10 and later.

On Thursday 04 October 2001 21:01, you wrote:
>    jd_480 at hotmail.com
> the web site u pointed me to i have read...it helped somewhat with
> installing...i have found the redhat docs to be the best..however the docs
> i have read are great for setup and assume you know how to recover from
> disk failure ..i think my problem is that i used the redhat gui to setup
> raid during instillation so i have no grasp on what really happend..so..i
> guess ill start checking out the raid tools in rh7.1...could some one tell
> me where i might want to start?

/usr/share/doc/