[lug] no printer listed in dmesg

Rob Mohr robmohr at earthnet.net
Sat Nov 3 13:32:18 MST 2001

I fixed the problem about the a2 media error via an edit to the
enscript.cfg file, used same parameters as "letter" for an "a2" entry.
But I don't know why the utility pointed to a2 media in the first place.

Some info.  A couple of days ago cat /proc/devices would give a listing
with "lp."  (IIRC this was per the HOW-TO_Printing.)

5 cua
6 lp
7 vcs

and so on.  Now it does not.  And I have stopped and restarted the printer
daemon.  Is the missing "6 lp" indicative of anything?

Also, per one of my textbooks, I should have a printer listed in my dmesg
log file.  The test says it should be something like:

paraport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
paraport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 4L
lp0: using paraport0 (polling.)

The above is out of a linux book reference.

My dmesg log file has:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
parport_probe: failed
aec671x_detect:
  NO PCI SUPPORT.

Does the above mean that the HP printer driver is not loaded into the
kernel as a module?  If so, may I manually start the driver?

Another issue, again from reading my linux references, I tried to use
printtool but came up empty.  Is not printtool a part of debian-Potato?
Is there another tool to use?  (HP laser jet is not in my printcap, but I
found an example for another HP that I will try to patch in.  Is this
where the "magicfilter" for the HP is to be put up, also?

What does work?  I can *sometimes* get an ascii printout, readable, when
using dialup and on pine.  Right after I installed this distro a few
months back, I remember having mozilla up on the x side of things, hitting
print for a test shot and getting dumped into a configuration loop.  I
can't remember exactly, but I think it worked then, but I have not needed
the printer til now. (LaTeX  and gv works great, as on screen viewing, but
if I try to print, many blank pages.)

I have tried to force print vi lpr and gv.  The best I can do on a ps file
or dvi file is to just get about five blank pages.  And if I use the pr
command on a txt file, I just get the header with the date, filename, and
page 1, along with about ten blank pages. cat foo.txt >/dev/lp0 will issue
either stair case text or blanks. (But on my install, I tested this via ls
> /dev/lp0 and got a good ascii listing.)

Note, now if I have mozilla up and screen print the result is five blank
pages.  On the x side of things app-system-admin-Magic-filter config will
bring up an xterm that flashes for about one second.  I can read "You have
already ..."

I have a PostScript capable HP, but right now it is just a heap of warm
plastic that attracts lady bugs and box elder bugs coming inside from the
cold.
eof