[lug] Very odd, not really linux question -- WATT 32, AT&T at home

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Sun Nov 18 16:14:55 MST 2001

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> On 11-18 13:20, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:20:53PM -0500, Zichary O`Tea wrote:
> > >Although I can set my hostname in wattcp.cfg, it appears that when my host
> > >name is sent durning the DHCP DISCOVER process, it appears as a "fully
> >
> > Don't use DHCP.  Simply set up the static IP that they gave you on the
> > install invoice.  That's what I did...
>
> :) Another rebel, I see. Every time I have called AT&T in the over two years I've
> had them, I can't remember a time they *didn't* say to use DHCP, and imply that
> static ips either never existed (yeah, right) or that they are being phased out.
> In any case,  I ignore it every time. The day the static ip number no longer works
> is the day I start up DHCP.

Actually, if you use multiple OS's, *nix variants, etc. you are
allowed to use a static ip. They sent out something a few months
back saying they were going to dhcp completely but if you had
an 'alternative' OS you could keep your static. I did. Anyway,
my mother has had @home for 2.5yrs now with dhcp and her ip
hasn't changed, for what it's worth....

Mark

--