[lug] Replacing leased cable modem with @Home?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat Dec 1 08:52:37 MST 2001

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 08:36:48AM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:38:04PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
> >I would wait until next week at least.  Excite at home has gone under and
> >AT&T hasn't been able to strike a deal that would allow the biz to stay
> >open...
>
> Indeed...  Our cable modem is out this morning, but it looks like simply an
> @home routing problem.  This'll be the second outage we've had on it in the
> 6 months or so we've had it though.

Well, all three relatives' cable modems (Mom, older brother, younger sister) are down. Mom's system was using dhcpcd successfully, and dhcpcd is NOT sensing any IP address now.

> The letter I got made it sound like if they couldn't reach a deal with
> Excite at home, they'd switch us over to AT&T broadband, but I don't fully
> understand what that means.  They're SUPPOSED to call before the
> excite at home goes out to switch us if that's the case though.

The letter my parents got says "your service may be temporarily interrupted" and "we'll call your phone number to tell you when we're back up".

So right now their Linux gateway is using an analog modem (ick!)

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)