[lug] attbi troubles

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Thu Dec 6 11:14:49 MST 2001

Nope.  Mine went just fine.  I noticed teh lights on my cable modem on
Tue night and booted into winbloz and wrote all of the information
down.  Rebooted into linux and BOOM!  Back in biz.  Although their DNS
is a bit screwy.  with @home, I could do an nslookup on my machine name
and find out the IP.  With attbi, I havne't been able to do that...yet.
Also, I've noticed that the network pukes for a bit from time to time.
For example, I leave my mail open.  I've noticed that when I'm gone most
of the day, I'll come home and Netscape can't find the mail server for
about 1 hour.  This never happened with with @home.

$0.02
Jeff

Ken Weinert wrote:

> Ok, my transition last night didn't go well - in fact, it didn't go at
> all.
>
> Therefore, I spent about 30 minutes online with a tech guy (with about
> a 30 minute wait to get to him :)
>
> So, since I'm at work, I haven't actually tried this yet, but here's
> some info I thought I'd pass along.
>
> 1) You need to change/remove the old @home machine name
>
> 2) you *might* need to go to sas.r4.attbi.com to register your
> modem. I'm thinking that in the transition they somehow got some
> database info hosed in my case. There you'll need your account number
> and mac address (the registration code is the last 9 of your account
> #)
>
> 3) he said that (unlike @home) IPs will change every 24 hours. I'm
> presuming he means that IPs will have an enforced 24 hour lease.
>
> 4) after doing the above, there should be some info at
> http://www.newuser.attbi.com, but that's only reachable from the attbi
> network (according the tech, Michael.)
>
> Hope your transition went easier than mine.
>
> --
> Ken Weinert   kenw at ihs.com 303-858-6956 (V) 303-705-4258 (F)
> GnuPG KeyID: 9274F1CE           GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org/
> GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 1D87 3720 BB77 4489 A928  79D6 F8EC DD76 9274 F1CE
> Linux 2.2.14: up 32 days, 15:39
> Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem

"Yet they are mistaken, they will be exposed, and they will discover
what
others in the past have learned;  Those who make war against the United
States have chosen their own destruction."
G. Bush Jr.  Sept '01