[night1 at iinet.net.au: [lug] starting disk druid]

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Dec 20 12:56:36 MST 2001

rm at fabula.de wrote:

> What _is_ this? A got a few such mails recently
> that all claim that someone read a post from me.
> It seems that someone sends these mails to lists
> (see the mail header) to provoke answers. A cheap
> way to get email addresses?

I have also received similar linux questions directly. I think it is
legitimate, and to make a long story shorter, I have searched on various
search engines (I forget which, but probably google or lycos or yahoo),
and found results that pointed at the BLUG archive; most of those
engines have both a cached copy, and a pointer to the original post
archive. If the cache was used for reply, it could result in the search
engine itself adding something to the header. It became something like
the idea of a universe that is curved and wraps around, and a big enough
telescope means looking at the back of one's own head...I found my own
questions on BLUG while searching for further answers on search engines.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com