[lug] Linux client for Win2000 VPN server

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Mar 19 12:25:48 MST 2002

Quick Google search (knowing nothing about mpdgraph) seems to indicate
that it's a pptp client.  There are point-to-point-tunneling protocol
clients for Linux.  Looking at some of this stuff it might even be the
server side for BSD's also...?  Interesting.  Should play with that!

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:23:43PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I got a new job.  Hard to imagine there was Unix devel work in this mostly
> Windows and Oil industry town (Houston).
>
> Anyway, I can work from home using a VPN.  They're using FreeBSD at work, though
> most of the folks are ex-Windows folk, however.  They all use "mpdnetgraph"
> to connect to the Windows 2000 VPN server.  They aren't sure if there is a
> Linux client for this.  Does anyone know what tool(s) I should be using to
> connect from my Linux boxes at home into a Windows 2000 VPN server?  I've
> never used a VPN before - unless that just a fancy name for ssh'lling my way
> round the place.

Basically you're kinda right... VPN's are just a way to encrypt network
traffic and to connect your machine to a remote network at the same
time.  It's more like SSH tunneling if you've done that, than a standard
SSH session.

Or if you've ever set up a PPP over SSH tunnel, that's more like it
even.

Here's the stuff I was looking at:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=116510+0+archive/2001/freebsd-net/20010603.freebsd-net

--