[lug] Re: ot mailing list was ( RE: Academic exercises (was: Re: [lug] File modification))

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Fri Mar 22 08:47:28 MST 2002

There is some appeal in this for me.  I think rather highly of this
group of people and there are times that I would like to throw out a
question about home audio or something completely off topic because I
know I can get some solid information.  I am not inclined to go join a
list on home audio because my interest is short lived (e.g. I just want
to know what to look for in a tuner/receiver/speaker set up), I don't
want to go to the depth that is likely to be on such a list.

Unfortunately, setting up an off topic list will likely mean that those
who have little time but lots of knowledge will not subscribe so the
benefit is lost.  Also, how often has the comment "please take your
conversation elsewhere" served to end the conversation completely.

Maybe the right answer is to make sure and put an OT in the Subject line
so that people desirous to filter it to /dev/null can.

Just my 2 cents.

Hugh