[lug] Vim and wine, or w[h]ining about vim

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jun 6 13:33:24 MDT 2002

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a new box using a Via-built motherboard that I am playing with.
>
> (BTW, this is an amazingly inexpensive piece of hardware.  I got
> http://www.casetronic.com/Product/PCcase/CheckerCube/checkercube.html
> which isn't even the cheapest version.  I'd be happy to bring it to the
> meeting on Thursday to show it off for a 10 min. demo.)
>
> I'm playing with getting linux (RH 7.3) to fully support all of the
> hardware I've stuck in the box and have noticed a couple of oddities.
> In particular, vim seems to lock-up rather often.  Have others hard
> problems with vim?  On my other RH 7.3 box I always use that other,
> immensely superior editor from GNU. ;-)
>
> Also, since I shoved all of 7.3 onto the box, wine runs an init script.
>   Occasionally it seems to lock at boot time.  Anyone else had problems
> with it?  I was wondering if it's hardware related.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

I wouldn't know whether it is hardware related, but if it locks up on
one app, I'd always be tempted to rebuild it from source rpm or source
tarball. If it still locks up, I'd rebuild it with optimizing off and -g
symbols and attach to it with gdb after lockup just to see where it is
locking (but more importantly, sometimes optimizing is related to the
lockup on particular hardware, changing optimization by removing it
might fix it, especially on 2.95.x compilers).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com